General Ledger in Microsoft Dynamics GP
Sharply reduce time and effort spent on key accounting tasks with comprehensive automation. Track and analyze your financial information in the way that best suits your business—not someone else’s—with tools and accounting structures that you design yourself to serve your needs. The intelligent accounting and analysis capabilities of General Ledger in Microsoft DynamicsTM GP empower you to manage the financial heart of your business, giving you the vital information you need to make your finances work for you and improve the way you do business.
Maintain precise focus with advanced automation. Refocus your energy on mission-critical issues by minimizing time spent on routine accounting tasks through automation of general ledger transactions, payment adjustments, and more.
- Improve your decision making. Get the answers you need to make better business decisions with comprehensive reports and easy-touse inquiry tools that facilitate rapid, accurate analysis of your business operations.
- Streamline your accounting. Reduce transaction entry steps, and increase accuracy by copying, voiding, deleting, or correcting general ledger transactions with full audit control.
Improve your efficiency. Empower your employees with a straightforward, consistent focus for managing accounting data that lowers administrative costs and gives you tight control over the financial heart of your business.
- Benefit from tight integration. Expand your business potential by using General Ledger to tap into information in other modules in Microsoft Dynamics GP, and include that information in accounting or analysis tasks.
Flexible Accounting Tools
From flexible account options to intelligent transaction processing, the comprehensive accounting tools in General Ledger enable you to capture and analyze vital financial information so you know where you’ve been and can chart where you’re going.
- Quickly void or delete unposted transactions, back out or reverse posted transactions, and create correcting entries―all with full audit control.
- Improve advanced financial analysis capabilities by modifying existing General Ledger financial reports or creating new reports―all with comparative analysis and complete graphical support.
- Create customized account structures and personalized shortcut navigation.
- Capture non-financial data and link it to accounts, without recording the information in General Ledger.
- Simplify transaction management with general, recurring, and auto reversing entries.
- Efficiently handle multiple currencies with full control over transactions in either the original or functional (home) currencies.
Analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, introduce greater reporting flexibility and extensibility, and analyze transactions efficiently.
- Focus on the financial data you need to make better business decisions by including or restricting report content that is important to your organization’s reporting needs.
- Achieve a detailed view of your accounting transactions, and enable deep analysis by organizing data hierarchically for multi-level reporting.
- Define the information that is important to your business and analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, using user-defined transaction dimension codes and account classes.
- Improve financial analysis and reporting accuracy with functions that facilitate easier data entry and sharply reduce user error.
- Find and analyze transactions with precision across your entire organization with tight integration across the following modules in Microsoft Dynamics GP—General Ledger, Receivables Management, Payables Management, Inventory, Sales Order Processing, Purchase Order Processing, Grant Management, and Bank Reconciliation.
- User-Defined Accounting Structures. Design an accounting structure to suit your business or create unique structures for each company in your organization. It’s easy with extensive flexibility, structures up to 66 characters long, up to 10 segments of any length, and customizable General Ledger fields.
- Flexible Account and Transaction Management. Manage accounts and transactions with unlimited flexibility using user-defined accounting structures, definable fiscal periods, prior-year adjustments, batch posting, cross-module auditing, and more.
- General Ledger Account Descriptions. Automatically display General Ledger account descriptions based on previously defined segments for increased efficiency. Easily create default budget templates―complete with accounts, descriptions, and default amounts―in Microsoft® Office Excel®, and then export and import budgets to and from Office Excel through an interactive wizard.
- General Ledger Reports. Improve advanced financial analysis capabilities by modifying existing General Ledger financial reports or creating new reports with unit account information, comparative analysis, and complete graphical support.
- Microsoft FRx Desktop Reports. Easily create comprehensive reports consolidating information from multiple companies or provisional transactions; or define new reporting relationships with Microsoft FRx® Desktop.
- System-wide Information Access. Find and analyze the exact information you need through the tight integration of General Ledger with other Microsoft Dynamics GP modules such as Receivables Management, Payables Management, Invoicing, Sales Order Processing, and Crystal Reports.
- Copy General Ledger Entries. Reduce data entry and increase accuracy by copying an existing General Ledger transaction and using it as the basis for new transactions.
- Void and/or Correct General Ledger Transactions. Quickly void or delete unposted transactions, back out or reverse posted transactions, and post corrected entries—all with full audit control.
- Make General Ledger Accounts Inactive. Maintain precise control with the ability to mark both posting and unit accounts inactive at any point in time (with or without balances).
- Budget Based on Start and End Date. Select a start and end date to support budgets of varying time intervals, such as quarterly, semi-annually, or multi-year, while keeping the existing options for fiscal year intact for budgets.
- Interfund Accounting. Help reduce errors associated with manual reconciliation of funds. Transfer balances between accounts accurately and efficiently. Part of the Intercompany Transactions module, inter-fund accounting is especially important to public sector and not-for-profit agencies.